Dear SYNTHESYS3 colleagues,
A couple of recent News (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/blog) items:
- Access Call 2 closed last month and an all-time record 741 applications (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/node/300) were received. Thank you to all involved in promoting the call, in particular the TAF Leaders and TAF administrators. User Selection Panel meetings are currently in progress to decide on successful awards.
- Two new partners (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/node/299) have been voted in by the SYNTHESYS3 Project Committees and approved by the Commission. These are Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung and State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart, and both joined DE-TAF for Call 2 and received an impressive 33 applications between them.
- Our first project deliverables are near completion - for example edge detection technology software Inselect has been developed together with colleagues at Stellenbosch University (contributing to Deliverable 4.1 of the JRA). Check these presentations (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/node/298) for more details. A new version of Inselect will be available at the end of the November (https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/inselect) and we encourage SYNTHESYS members to send feedback on the software.
- Welcome to Bronchus synthesys: a new species of South African weevil has been named after the project: read more http://www.synthesys.info/2014/11/05/new-species-named-after-synthesys/ on the main SYNTHESYS website.
- Elspeth Haston, Vince Smith and Deb Paul (iDigBio and SYNTHESYS advisory board member), chaired a 1 day digitisation symposium at the recent TDWG meeting in Jönköping, Sweden. There were a total of 15 presentations, most of which can be accessed from the main list on the TDWG website (http://www.tdwg.org/conference2014/slides-upload/).
Plus a couple of recent additions to the management website literature (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/biblio) page:
Reminder on mailing lists (http://synthesys3.myspecies.info/forum): individual workpackage mailing lists can be used to contact everyone involved in a particular WP. If you need a particular group within or across WPs then just let me know and I can send you a list.
P.S. I have sent this e-mail via our workpackage e-mail addresses so if you have signed up for several WPs then you may receive this e-mail several times. Please note that if you hit "Reply", your response will be sent to the entire group.
Dr Kristina Gorman
SYNTHESYS Project Manager
Research & Consulting Office
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD, UK
Tel: (+44) (0)207 942 5816
NHM Consulting: www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/science-facilities/consulting/
Please note I work Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. For urgent enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org